The years within a family unit is when children develop all their life skills, they learn their fears and learn how to relate to authority as well as peers. In school they learn some of these skills but usually the main influence on their world view and their capabilities to relate with the world comes from their parents and siblings. This is why parenting is an important skill to learn and usually is learned on the job so to speak. Children have to learn that the world isn’t always fair and that to get something they have to either work hard to or trade something of equal value to get it. One of the most important rules of life they should learn during their childhood is that every they take has either a consequences or reward. Too much of the present youths out there today have little discipline nor do they have any idea about what consequences they may have to pay for breaking rules or laws. They usually learn too late and repeat the mistakes many times before figuring it all out. As the bible says spare the rod and spoil the child, not that I am condoning child abuse or whipping a child to death but there has to be consequences to bad behavior or the child might grow up with some major issues. There are many non violent ways to teach them right from wrong and that there is a price to pay when they misbehave. What works for one child may not work for another and its one of those you have to figure out the best way for yourself kind of things.
I also find it kind of interesting that now most schools teach our children that there is no losers just the big winner and the next winner and so on. If they don’t learn to face that sometimes you just lose they will be quite emotionally challenged when they move out and have to face the real world. Losing teaches you how to be humble and it also builds character. It also makes most people want to try harder to succeed at the next try. But if there is no winner or looser then what is there to inspire them to try harder and soar higher in their lives? Yes it is not so fun loosing, I had to deal with that quite a bit through life but I also have experienced winning and usually it was because I was moved to do better by a previous failure. I think political correctness is becoming to important and we all are getting too carried away with it. Sometimes you hurt someone else’s feelings or they hurt yours, that’s part of life. The pain is short-lived and if you are fairly secure in yourself then you don’t let it bother you or slow you down. We should teach self-confidence and good self imagery in our school system and promote compassion towards others.
Just a few thoughts I had, right or wrong it is the way I see it.
- Family Dining: Can’t take the kids anywhere? (mommymanders.com)
- Diatribe: If You Can’t Teach Your Children To Behave In Public, Please Leave Them At Home. (diatribesandovations.com)
- Check out this website for kids who want to cook; plus calm down and carry on when coping with cranky or misbehaving children (goerie.com)
- Perfect Gift for Mother: New Book Offers Window into Her Child’s Mind (prweb.com)
- Toxic Family members (perfectomy.wordpress.com)
- You: MENTAL HEALTH: Children’s misbehavior a learning experience – Rapid City Journal (rapidcityjournal.com)
- Do You Spank Your Kids? (fox4kc.com)
- Teach Your Child to Swim (answers.com)
- Feeling Jealous or Angry about Child’s Safe Childhood (faithallen.wordpress.com)